If you answer phones like our team of live virtual receptionists, you probably field a lot of questions each workday. Here at Ruby®, we know that no matter how complex a question is, there’s always a friendly, professional way to respond. And here’s the best part: you don’t even need to know the answer to a question in order to respond with confidence. Is this magic? Nope — all you need to be confident in your call-handling skills are a few solid multi-purpose responses. Want to learn how to field any question without flinching? Take a gander at these riveting replies from the Ruby playbook!
When it’s a basic question, but you need a moment to find the answer:
- Great question! Let me find the answer for you.
- I’d be happy to find out. Would you mind holding for a moment?
When you don’t know the answer, but you know who does:
- Great question! Let me put you in touch with Susan — she’ll be happy to answer it.
- Tim would be the best person to help you. He’ll be happy to return your call. May I have your telephone number?
When you don’t know the answer, and you’re not sure who does:
- Great question! Let me find the best person to answer it.
- Great question! I’ll find the best person to answer it, and have that person return your call. May I have your telephone number?
When the question is about someone’s whereabouts or schedule, such as “When will he be back in the office?” or “When can I meet with her?”:
- He keeps his own schedule, but I’ll be sure to have him return your call as soon as possible. May I have your telephone number?
- She keeps her own schedule, but she’ll be happy to return your call and set up an appointment. May I have your telephone number?
When your caller presses you for information you don’t have:
- I would hate to give you any misinformation. Susan is the best person to answer your questions, and she’ll be happy to talk with you. May I have your telephone number, so Susan can return your call?
- Our attorney will be happy to help you — I would hate to give you any misinformation. Let me try to reach her for you.
It doesn’t matter whether you’re starting your first answering service job or you’ve been fielding calls for fifty years — anyone can shine like a Ruby by using variations of these great replies! We hope these examples boost your phone answering confidence. Do you have any tips for fielding tricky questions? We’d love to hear them!